New Year, New You! Low Calorie Dark Fudgy Brownie Recipe
January 6, 2016
The first of the year always gets people making New Year resolutions! The most common one for most of us is eating healthier. If you are like me and have a hard time giving up the sweets, especially chocolate, check out this recipe for a low-calorie, yet chocolate indulging treat.
Low Calorie Dark Fudgy Brownie
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (American style or Dutch process)
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (50-72% cocoa), coarsely chopped, plus 2 1/2 ounces chopped into mini chip size pieces, divided
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp light corn syrup, blended with 3 tbsp lukewarm water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts, (see tip), optional
- Sift flour, confectioners sugar and cocoa together into a small bowl.
- Combine the 3 ounces coarsely chopped chocolate and oil in a saucepan, stir over lowest heat until just melted and smooth, being very careful the chocolate does not overheat.
- Remove from heat and stir in granulated sugar, corn syrup mixture, vanilla, and salt. Blend until all ingredients dissolve.
- Stir in egg vigorously until smoothly incorporated.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients.
- Fold in walnuts (if using) and the remaining 2 1/2 ounces chopped chocolate just until well blended.
- Pour batter into a 8 inch pan with foil, letting it overhang on two opposing sides, coated with cooking spray.
- Position on center rack of preheated 350 degree oven.
- Bake brownies 20-25 minutes or until center of brownies are almost firm and a toothpick inserted comes out with some moist batter clinging to it.
Tip: To toast chopped nuts: Cook in a small dry skillet over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, about 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 86
- Fat 3g (1g sat, 1 g mono)
- Cholesterol 11mg
- Carbohydrates 15g
- Protein 2g
- Fiber 0g
- Sodium 19mg
- Potassium 25mg