The weather is starting to warm up again, and I know summer will be here before I know it. I’ve already begun to think about barbecues and picnics, and I’m looking forward to entertaining friends and family this summer. One of the challenges of warm weather for me is not gaining any extra weight despite all the pasta salads and ice cream sundae treats I’m offered during parties and barbecues.
5 Warm Weather Treats That Are Good For You
I try hard to stick with healthy eating, but I do enjoy treating myself to my favorite foods as well. While all foods are okay in moderation, I try to pick the healthiest choice that will satisfy any cravings. Treats are fine occasionally, but when it becomes an every day indulgence, my jeans start to feel a bit too snug. Here are a few warm weather treats that you can enjoy without feeling guilty.
- Fruit Salad. I love fresh fruit and one of my favorite ways to enjoy it is in a fruit salad. I cut up watermelon, cantaloupe, and pineapple and toss with blueberries and strawberries for a refreshing treat when the weather is warm.
- Frozen Grapes. Seriously. The first time I heard this, I thought that there was no way I’d enjoy it. Take a handful of grapes and put them in a container in the freezer overnight. The next day, pop one or two of them in your mouth and just let them melt. They’re amazing!
- Fruit Popsicles. No, please don’t buy the pre-made ones from the store. Those are mostly sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial food coloring. Even if they are low in calories, they are not good for you. Instead, pour your fruit juice into a freezer mold, add a stick and freeze. A few of my favorite fruit juices to use are peach, apple and pineapple. Here are three fresh and healthy popsicle recipes.
- Frozen Yogurt. Again, please don’t buy frozen yogurt at the store. That type is mostly sugar. Instead, start with real Greek yogurt that is plain and add in tiny pieces of fresh cut fruit like strawberries or peaches. Stir in a bit of honey and freeze. Enjoy a small bowl for a delicious treat.
- Infused Ice Water. Infused water is a delicious way to quench your thirst. Take a big pitcher of water, slice a fresh cucumber and add a few slices of lemon. Put the whole thing in the back of the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, you’ll have a refreshing ice cold water with a faint hint of cucumber and lemon. You can try this with strawberries and blueberries as well.
Now that I’ve shared a few of my favorite warm weather treats, which one do you want first?