January 25, 2021
If there’s ever been a time to focus on your personal wellness, it’s now. Being home with a pandemic going on has persuaded many of us to take a look at our lives and how the choices we make affect our wellness and happiness. We’ve opened our eyes to focus on self-care not just for our bodies but for our mental and spiritual wellness as well. Since it’s a new year also, it’s a perfect time to shift focus to the things we can adopt for good wellness habits through the year. Your 21 good wellness habits journey starts now.
Incorporating as many of these as possible will nurture your mind, body, and spirit and get you on a journey of good wellness habits that will continue each year. Remember, experts often say it takes 21 days to form a new habit also!
1. Keep a gratitude journal. Write in it daily if you can. Choose 3 things a day that your are grateful for and write how they affected your day for the better.
2. Scent your bedroom with a relaxing essential oil before bed to help you unwind and drift off easier.
3. Grow organic herbs and fruits and veggies so you always have them around.
4. Practice yoga at least weekly. The benefits to mind, body, and spirit are enormous.
5. Walk daily at least 20-30 minutes. A brisk walk is best. This boosts mood and gets the heart pumping and muscles moving.
6. Get outside in nature at least 30-60 minutes a day. The therapeutic benefits are well known for grounding and to help with stress.
7. Add healthy supplements, whole food vitamins, herbs, and adaptogens to your wellness shelf. Ditch synthetic ones.
8. Research CBD (or ask your doctor to make sure it’s right for you). It works for many people in many ways.
9. Meditate every day even if it’s 5 or 10 minutes (try the Calm or Insight timer apps!).
10. Do at least one act of kindness daily. Anonymous ones too. You will feel so good creating this habit!
11. Smile more. Even when you don’t feel like it. Research shows it tricks our brains into believing we are happier … thus, more happiness. It’s an easy pick-me-up.
12. Pick up a new healthy hobby to do at least once a week. Follow a passion. It could be painting, gardening, knitting, crafting, or whatever sets your heart on fire.
13. Be offline more. Don’t get caught up in social media too long (remind yourself or set a timer when online for short periods of time).
14. Add more garlic, raw veggies, and fruits to your daily diet.
15. Read a book a month at least. Fiction or nonfiction, it doesn’t matter. Expand your mind.
16. Choose natural skin and body care made with ethical ingredients you feel good about.
17. Drink water or lemon-infused water all day long.
18. Choose healthy drinks like organic tea and pomegranate juice over soda or lattes.
19. Add light weights to your exercise twice a week. Resistance training keeps muscles from atrophy and is especially important as we age.
20. Get social as much as possible. Whether in person, Zoom, texts, calls. Stay connected to feel better.
21. Sleep 7-8 hours a night in a dark cool room. Restful sleep is everything and sets you up for a great day!
How many of these are already checked off on your list? How many can you add to make 2021 a year with a focus on your good wellness habits.