I love those expensive candy bars that have pieces of dried fruits and nuts in them. I seriously have to restrain myself from buying one or three when I’m grocery shopping each week. Many of them are fairly expensive and I started to think … I could make one just as delicious at home for a fraction of the cost. The best thing about this bark recipe is that it can be customized based on what you have on hand. If you change the flavor of the chips and what add ins you use, you can have a different type of candy each time you make it.
Today, I chose half butterscotch chips and half white chocolate chips because that is what I had in the kitchen. You could easily use milk chocolate, dark chocolate or a combination. My add ins today are dried cranberries, chopped walnuts, and pretzels. I enjoy it just as much with sunflower seeds, pistachios, pecans, almonds, raisins, mini marshmallows or any number of other crunchy and chewy additions.
Butterscotch Bark with Nuts Berries and Pretzels
- 1 package of chips (your choice of flavors)
- 1 cup total of crunchy add ins (pretzels, nuts, seeds)
- 1/2 cup total of chewy add ins (raisins, dried cranberries, dried blueberries)
- Melt the chips on top of a double boiler.
- When the chips are melted, stir in the add ins and mix until everything is combined.
- Pour onto a cookie sheet that has been lined with waxed paper.
- Spread thinly until it is even.
- Refrigerate for two hours or until solid.
- Break into pieces and enjoy.
This recipe makes a delicious treat for the holidays or any time your sweet tooth is calling to you. Play around with the combinations of ingredients until you find your favorite. If you would like to customize it to a certain holiday, you can add in candy corns for Halloween, jelly beans for Easter, red and green M&Ms for Christmas, etc. Using what you have on hand makes this a very frugal dessert.