Whether you’ve been waiting your entire life for the big day, or love took you by surprise, preparing for a wedding can be so exciting—and stressful! Of course, you want everything to go well on your big day, but having unrealistic expectations can add unnecessary pressure.
The best strategy is to keep things in perspective, be organized, and have a backup plan. Here are some suggestions for keeping your cool and making the most of this momentous occasion.
Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff
As you plan your wedding, you will soon discover there are a lot of moving parts. From what you’ll wear, to the venue and guest list, there’s a lot going on and you can be sure that there will be some hiccups along the way.
Early on, identify the things that are truly important—and then don’t sweat the small stuff. You’re probably not going to remember some small problem unless you make it a big deal. Ignore all of the little things that go wrong and you’ll enjoy your wedding a lot more!
Come Up with a Coping Strategy
Do you tend to freak out or meltdown under pressure? If so, in the weeks leading up to your wedding, it might be a good idea to learn some new coping strategies. Practice deep breathing or mindful meditation exercises to help you regain balance when you’re feeling overwhelmed.
Make sure someone in your entourage is familiar with your coping plan so that they can help you if things start to spin out of control. Sometimes, just having a shoulder to lean on can help so much!
Make the Day About YOU
While planning a wedding isn’t an excuse to be selfish and demanding, it is important to remember that this is about YOU and your partner. Don’t make decisions solely to make other people happy. As a couple, make choices that make you happy.
This includes leaving certain people off the guest list. Sure, this could create some resentment (or even shock) but if you know that someone disapproves of your relationship or would create drama, it’s better to let their invitation get lost in the mail. Permanently.
Get on the Same Page
It’s so much easier for chaos to control a situation when people aren’t on the same page. One of the most important things you can do, therefore, is to create a united front as a couple. The last thing you need is to be at odds with each other when the ship starts sinking.
While we all have our preferences, check in with your significant other to make sure you’re in agreement about the most important things. That way, if you face a challenge, you’ll both know where you stand. Then, carry on this attitude together for the rest of your lives!
Turn Lemons into Lemonade
Found out you booked during the rainy season? Cuddle up and prepare to enjoy your honeymoon in bed. That’s where you’d rather be anyways, right? While this example is specific, you get the point—don’t let the unexpected ruin your wedding.
There will be things that are completely out of your control, so why waste energy stressing about them? Instead, try to find the silver lining, show gratitude for all that has gone right, and be thankful for the love you’ve found in your life. Attitude is everything!
Remember—It’s Just ONE Day
You might have the wedding of your dreams—or your nightmares! Good or bad, remember that this is just one day in your life together. It does not define the future that you plan to share or the love that you have for each other.
It’s okay to have a small pity party if your wedding is truly disastrous, but then let it go. Find a way to laugh about it, if you can. Use the opportunity to show that you and your new spouse can get through anything together. All that matters is that you have your best friend and partner by your side.
Amazingly Helpful Products
Whether you have a wedding planner, a solid plan and/or a strong support system, there are products that might make things a little easier. Do your research ahead of time, but here are some suggestions to help you get started:
- Pollyanna Planning Kit – Still in the planning stages? Keep things organized with the Pollyanna Kit which includes checklists (digital and hardcopy!), a candle, essential oil and so much more.
- Migrastil Migraine Stick – This natural pain relieving roll-on will easily fit in a small purse or pocket. Just apply to your forehead, temples, and back of your neck and enjoy relief.
- Trophy Skin MiniMD – Want great skin but need to save money? This device allows you to reap the benefits of microdermabrasion and pore extraction from the comfort of your own home.
- Sound Oasis – When things get hectic and you need a breather, the “world’s smallest white noise machine” can help. With ten different tones of white noise, this device can help you find your zen in no time!
- CalmIGo – While you’re using that Sound Oasis, pull out the CalmIGo. This handheld device provides drug-free relief from stress, anxiety, and distress by helping you regulate your breathing and stimulating your senses.
- Theresa Rose Designs – Need a wonderful gift for your bridesmaids? Theresa Rose Designs has created a collection specifically for this occasion! Choose from a wide selection of earrings, bracelets, and necklaces to show how much you care.
- Frankie Cameron Bag – Need something for carrying all the necessities? Frankie Cameron’s collection of bags is perfect. Not only are they stylish and roomy, but the detachable liner can be easily removed, allowing you to clean your bag in seconds.
Enjoy Your Day!
You’ve found the love of your life and you want all of your friends and family to share in your celebration. Keep that in mind whenever you hit a bump in the road. Life isn’t perfect—whether it’s on your wedding day or otherwise—so cherish the beauty and just enjoy your day. Congratulations!