‘Tis the season when we decide to test out the new beauty tips and tricks we’ve seen in magazines and online. Sometimes they work (hello smoky eye!) sometimes they don’t (good-bye purple lips!). One makeup trick that works on everyone is also easy to master. You just have to prep and prepare before getting started and follow the proper steps. Get ready to highlight your beautiful bone structure and really shine this holiday season.
For luscious luminosity you need to prep your skin before even applying a smidge of highlighter. You will need: Exfoliating scrub, daily moisturizer with SPF, makeup primer.
- Exfoliate dead skin cells to brighten your complexion. Use a softer scrub or motorized brush with your regular cleanser.
- Moisturize your skin post-exfoliation. This will add to the dewy effect. Make sure your moisturizer has a good SPF and works for winter. An illuminating moisture balm also works well.
- Apply a makeup primer to your skin to help reflect light. A poreless primer can be your best friend for this look. Makeup Forever HD brand primer has a soft aloe scent and absorbs into skin quickly.
Accentuate the Positive
Using a highlighter might seem like a job only a makeup pro can handle but fear not, it’s easier than you think. You will need: Foundation, a matte powder, liquid highlighter, foundation brush, concealer brush.
- Apply foundation to your face over the primer using a foundation brush. This gives a seamless finish.
- Take a matte powder that is one shade darker than your skin tone and lightly sweep it along your cheekbones and all the way up to your temples. This shows a contour that is subtle and plays up the highlighter.
- Take the liquid highlighter and dot it under your eyes and down the bridge of your nose. Don’t forget to dot it between your brows, your chin and above the arch of your brows. Try to find a highlighter that is a golden pink tone. It flatters every skin tone. Nars Illuminator and Dior Glow Maximizer are your best bests.
- Now blend the highlighter using the concealer brush. Don’t blend the dots beneath your eyes. Instead use your fingers to lightly tap the highlighter into your skin. Blend it down to the tops of your cheekbones.
Finish off the look with a light hand on your blush. Avoid using a translucent powder which can dull the highlighter effect and make winter skin look dry. Don’t use other shimmer make-up when using a highlighter. It can show off fine lines and wrinkles. Now go glisten and glow!