February 5, 2015
There’s no other way to say it to you, but 2015 is going to be the year of the butt. Give credit to the rise in pop stars and celebrities with infamous derrieres like Jennifer Lopez, Nicki Minaj and now Iggy Azalea. These women put it all out there and have been for a few years now. Now gyms are offering classes to tone and firm up your behind to make it rounder, higher and more pronounced than ever before.
I don’t need to be ‘All About That Bass’ in the back end but I wouldn’t mind a bit of a lift. No matter what your fitness goal this year you will probably find a few of the following exercises that will enhance your butt and tone it up.
Keep It Classy
Heading to the gym or looking for a way to firm up your backend? Check out this list of classes.
- Brazilian Butt Lift: Made up of a combination of squats and lunges these classes really work your glutes and thighs. It’s all burn and firm with these sets. They also improve that hard to work area below the curve of your cheeks. Also known as the “thut”. In addition these classes work the waist and slim the thigh areas for an overall slim down and tightening effect.
- Rock Bottom, Ass Blast or any class that features the name of the area you are trying to work will create results in that area through strength training, stretching, and cardio. Check your local gym class schedule for the type of class they are offering this season.
Classes are great but sometimes you only have time to squeeze in a few concentrated exercises to work that targeted area. Doing a combination of these glute-maximizing moves can work wonders.
- Squats, Bridges and Lunges: Done together in a set, this can lift and firm your butt fast. Start off slow with a single set of reps for each exercise and add more daily to build up your muscles. You’ll see a reduction in cellulite over time too.
- Dumbbell Squats: With feet shoulder-width apart and a set of dumbbells at your sides, squat down like you are sitting in a chair. Squeeze your glutes as you return to the standing/starting position. Do this for 15-20 reps. Increase the weights and reps as you progress.
- Plié: Part of the Brazilian Butt Lift workout the plié is also done in Barre classes nationwide. Standing with feet slightly wider than your shoulders keep your toes pointed out. Arms should be straight in front of you. Lower slowly into a squat. As you come up squeeze your butt. Go as low as you can with each rep but don’t let your knees go past your toes. Back should be straight and tailbone tucked under. 15-20 reps.