Cancer touches almost everyone. It doesn’t care about zip codes, towns, or states. I personally have had family and friends affected by cancer and it’s always tough to know how you can help. Whether it’s emotional support, providing meals for the family, or helping in other ways, we all offer what we can. Giving Comfort, a program of the McKesson Foundation, also does their best to make an impact in the lives of cancer patients throughout the United States (and eventually the world).
Giving Comfort launched last year and 100% of the donations go to creating Care Kits for low-income kids, teens, and adults going through cancer treatment. These kits are distributed free-of-charge through a nationwide network of partner organizations that provide support and services to cancer patients in local communities. Many of these people are trying to choose between paying for rent or food and paying their medical bills. Giving Comfort helps alleviate those concerns and has already distributed over 14,000 kits in 33 states.
The Comfort Kits are filled with high-quality comfort items that are most needed and requested by patients undergoing treatment: A soft blanket, warm socks, soothing tea, moisturizer, lip balm, a sleeping cap, and much more. They offer kits in both boy and girl styles for every age.
Even our SocialMoms members love the kits:
- Toni-Lynn with Delightful Chaos says she wishes the kits had been available when her grandmother and father were going through cancer. “If you have been affected by it, you know that Cancer is brutal, both physically and financially. The treatment itches, it burns, it makes you exhausted and sick, and because it’s so expensive, many patients can’t afford the simple things that make it bearable. When you support Giving Comfort – by donating a cancer care package for a cancer patient in need, or by purchasing a kit for a friend or family member – you are making an immediate impact in the life of a cancer patient.”
- Diane over at Savings Mania talks about a family member with cancer. “Because of how quickly the cancer had spread, she had to have surgery immediately and start chemo. It was a very hard time for our family. My mother in law Janet, Ada’s sister, was at her side day and night. Family members drove in to be with her. She made it through the surgery and had to start the rest of the healing process. Every week, she makes the hour long drive, for doctor appointments or chemo or tests.”
So how can you help? There are 2 ways:
Donate money toward a Comfort Kit:
- Giving Comfort uses 100% of your donation (you choose the dollar amount) to purchase products and ship Comfort Kits to patients.
- If you choose to donate in honor of someone, they will send a customized eCard to the honoree or whoever else you choose, notifying them of the donation.
- A low-income cancer patient somewhere in the U.S. gets comfort when they need it most.
Purchase a Comfort Kit for a friend or family member with cancer:
- An attractive cancer care package full of high-quality comfort items is shipped directly to the recipient.
- A personal note is included in the package.
- All proceeds from your purchase are used to support Giving Comfort – it’s a purchase with a purpose!
Please use the Rafflecopter widget below to enter for a chance to win a $100 Amazon.com gift card and a Giving Comfort Care Kit to give away to someone in need. (See official rules)