I don’t eat much red meat and absolutely no fish (just don’t like the taste), which leaves chicken (and the other white meat). Because of this, I am always looking for different poultry recipes. Fried, baked, roasted, grilled, sliced for stir fried – these same old ways get a little tiresome. Recently my son gave me this recipe and it sounded amazing. After trying this delicious dish, I decided to just invite myself out to my son’s house for dinner every night!
Sweet & Sour Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts – boneless/skinless
- 1 jar apricot or apricot/pineapple jam or preserves
- 1 bottle Russian dressing
- 1 package French onion soup mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional – pineapple slices
- Rub the chicken breasts with salt and pepper
- Place the chicken breasts into a baking dish.
- Mix the apricot jam, Russian dressing and soup mix together and pour over the chicken.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is done.
If you want more “sour,” place a slice of pineapple on top of the chicken before baking.
I added the pineapple but it was still a little too sweet for me, so next time I may chop up some more pineapple and add it to the mixture. And, I think I might add some red pepper flakes to the salt and pepper rub.
Serve this over a bed of rice for a quick and easy meal. The sauce will thicken as it cooks. Drizzle it over the chicken and rice before serving.
If you want an infusion of flavors, you can try throwing all the ingredients into a crock pot and cook it that way. Or try various jams. I’m thinking of experimenting using raspberry jam in place of the apricot. And then maybe cherry, or perhaps grape!