Easter Basket Cupcakes: Cute Centerpieces & Desserts
April 11, 2014
Easter is almost here, and what better time than to be in the kitchen with your kids? Many parents make an afternoon out of hard boiling eggs and dying them, but why not include a baked treat as well? Here are two simple recipes for cupcakes and Easter egg cake bites.
Easter Basket Cupcakes
- 24 waffle ice cream cones
- 1 package (2 layer size) white cake mix (or make your own favorite white or yellow cake recipe)
- 1 teaspoon yellow food color
- 3/4 tsp pure lemon extract
- 1 container (16 ounces) vanilla frosting (or make your own)
- Green food coloring
- 24 pieces red string licorice cut into 4 inch lengths
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Assorted colored small jelly beans, speckles eggs, little ball sprinkles or any other little candy to decorate your cupcake with.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Trim off the bottom of the ice cream cones (perhaps 2 to 3 inches). The cones should be slightly taller than the cups in your muffin tin) Wrap bottom of cones in small pieces of greased foil. Spray the muffin pan with no stick cooking spray and place cones in muffin pans. This is the most tedious step! If you can find small waffle bowls, those are definitely easier.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package, adding yellow food color and lemon extract.
- Pour batter into cones. About 2/3 of the way to the top of the cone.
- Bake as directed on package for cupcakes. Cool cupcakes on wire rack. Remove any excess cake from bottom of cones and top of cones to flatten them out.
- Place the coconut and some green food coloring in a plastic bag and mix it up. Spread it out on wax paper.
- Frost the cupcakes in any decoration you want.
- Press some of the green coconut into the frosting. Attach string licorice for the basket handles (I used toothpicks to hold the licorice up until it hardened).
- Decorate cupcakes with the candies.
Add to your display these egg-shaped cupcake bites. Use any type of cake mix for the inside of the cake or use white cake and dye it different colors at the time you add the marshmallow crème.
Easter Cake Bites
- 1 package (2 layer size) white cake mix (or make your own recipe)
- Assorted food colors or egg dye substitutions
- Assorted neon food colors or egg dye
- 1 cup marshmallow crème (or make your own recipe)
- 1 14 ounce bag white confectionary coating wafers
- ½ cup confectioners’/powdered sugar
- 2 tsp water
- Assorted food colors (or neon) or egg dye substitutions