5 Ways to Style a Maxi Dress This Summer
May 11, 2016
The Maxi dress may be one of women’s favorite summer pieces. This flattering style hides all manner of body issues we have with ourselves. The Maxi dress is also comfortable and usually wash and go. It’s also incredibly easy to style, much easier than putting together some combination of shorts and a shirt. But let’s face it ladies, the Maxi dress is tired. It needs a lift from the usual flip flops and sun hat accessories. I’ve put together five ways to wear a Maxi so that you can still feel good while looking even better all summer long.
One of the first rules of bringing your Maxi dress beyond casual is to elevate. That means adding shoes with a heel.
- Pair platform style sandals or mules with a Maxi for added height and style. It is perfect for day and it definitely takes a floral pattern dress to the next level.
- Stiletto sandals are the perfect way to take a Maxi from day to night. A thin heel creates a longer more elegant line making the Maxi a good option for date night or even a wedding. Add statement earrings and arm candy for a dramatic effect that enhances.
One of the biggest and best ways to maximize your wardrobe is to layer pieces, right? So why do we often let the Maxi dress be so lonesome?
- Looking for a work-safe option with a low cut Maxi? Add a camisole or tank underneath the dress and layer a cardigan with a belt over the top. Skinny belts or wide add definition and dress the Maxi up making it work chic. Don’t forget you can add a skinny belt over the dress and wear a cardigan over it too. Throw on mules and you are good to go to work.
- A blazer can also keep the office A/C chills away while giving a look structure. Make sure the blazer is fitted and not boyfriend or oversized shape. A statement necklace or scarf adds depth.
- We’re not done with the office yet. If you own a Maxi skirt then dig it out and bring it to work. You can easily tuck in a button down blouse into your Maxi skirt or layer it over a dress with a belt for a new take on a classic shirt. Pair it with ballet flats in a neutral tone. In cooler months recycle this look by placing the button down under a sleeveless Maxi dress and adding a thin belt around the waist and ankle or knee-high boots on your feet.