10 Practical Ways to Use Essential Oils in the Home
January 20, 2015
Essential oils, highly concentrated essences of plants, are extracted from flowers, fruits, leaves, roots and wood. Powerfully fragrant, they are high in antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. Harness the power of these lovely aromatic essences by using them to make your own household cleaners, fresheners, and more. Here are ten practical uses of essential oils in the home.
- Make your own all-purpose cleaning spray. Mix one cup of vinegar, three cups of water, and 10 drops of lemon essential oil in a spray bottle.
- Deodorize your carpets. Put 3 drops of your favorite essential oil on a cotton ball and place in your vacuum bag. Or add 10 drops of your favorite essential oil to a box of baking soda and leave overnight; sprinkle on carpets and vacuum.
- Deodorize a trash can. Place 5 drops of lemon essential oil on a cotton ball and placing it at the bottom of the bin.
- Keep flies away. Mix 20 drops of peppermint essential oil and one cup of water in a spray bottle. Spray at fly entry points, on countertops and tables.
- Make your own kitchen sink scrub. Mix 1 cup of baking soda, 1 cup of vinegar, and 10 drops of lemon essential oil for a non-toxic kitchen sink scrub.
- Create a safe and organic fruit and veggie rinse. Add 5 drops of lemon oil to a bowl of water. Add fruit to rinse and extend shelf life.
- Disinfect your kitchen sponge. Soak a kitchen sponge in a bowl with ten drops of lemon essential oil overnight and wake up to a disinfected sponge.
- Make your own home air freshener. Add ten drops of your favorite essential oil to purified water in a spray bottle and shake to create your own non-toxic air freshener.
- Freshen your towels and sheets. For lovely scented linens, place ten drops of your favorite essential oil on a square of cloth and add to your dryer when drying linens.
- Make your own fragrant candles. Create a naturally fragrant candle by adding a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the melting wax.
Some rules to follow when using essential oils:
- Always read and follow all label warnings.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets.
- Conduct a patch test of diluted essential oil on the inner arm before using; if redness or irritation occurs, do not use.
- If you have sensitive skin or any serious medical condition, consult with your doctor before using essential oils for therapeutic purposes.