Romance, Nightmares and Superheroes: May 2015 Movies
May 21, 2015
It’s the beginning of blockbuster season and, this month, there are three big sequels (Avengers, Mad Max and Pitch Perfect) mixed in with some new material. The expected action-packed offerings are broken up by a horror (Before I Wake), comedy (Spy), romance (Aloha) and family-friendly flick, Tomorrowland. Here’s what’s in theaters May 2015:
Friday, May 1
- The Avengers: Age of Ultron – The first Avengers movie was such a big hit (as are the individual films for Thor, Iron Man and Captain America) that it’s no surprise that this is one of the most highly anticipated films of the season. The group must join forces against adversary, Ultron, under the direction of Tony Stark who tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program. Of course, things do not go exactly as planned…
Friday, May 8
- Hot Pursuit – An uptight, rule-abiding policewoman must protect the boisterous, sexy, hard-to-control widow of a drug boss as they evade gunmen and shady cops while racing through Texas.
- Before I Wake – A couple get more than they bargained for when they realize that the 8-year-old boy they adopted has some serious, supernatural issues. He is afraid to go to sleep because his dreams manifest into reality which can be both a beautiful blessing and a terrifying curse.
Friday, May 15
- Mad Max: Fury Road – It’s been decades since a Mad Max film was in theaters but filmmakers are hoping that interest is still strong. In this reboot, the title character resigns to a life of solitude after a particularly turbulent past. It doesn’t last long, however, since he joins a group of people trying to survive and escape the Wasteland in a War Rig as they are hunted by an enraged Warlord.
- Pitch Perfect 2 – In this follow-up to the surprise 2012 hit that gave us the catchy, popular “Cups” song, the ladies from Barden University sign up for an international singing competition that has never been won by an American team.
Friday, May 22
- Tomorrowland – The family flick follows a teenage girl, a middle-aged genius and a young female robot as they try to figure out how to get to Tomorrowland, an area that exists in an alternate dimension. Getting there will be tough but the fate of humanity hangs in the balance.
- Spy – Susan Cooper has had to settle for being the unsung hero behind some of the CIA’s most dangerous missions for years because no one wanted to give the unassuming agent a chance. When her partner disappears and another top agent is compromised, she volunteers to go deep undercover while simultaneously learning how to be a field agent.
Friday, May 29
- San Andreas 3D – The season’s first real disaster movie follows a fictitious earthquake that takes place in California. Amid the destruction, one tough rescue helicopter pilot will stop at nothing to find his estranged daughter.
- Aloha – A celebrated military contractor returns to Hawaii where he reconnects with a long-lost love while basking in the site of his greatest career triumphs. Everything should be perfect so the hero finds himself bewildered by the fact that he’s falling for the tough but beautiful Air Force watchdog assigned to him.
There truly is a little bit of something for everyone this month in theaters. What movie(s) do you plan on seeing?