Long hair is definitely “in” – so perhaps you’ve embraced the chance to be frugal and canceled a few of your hair appointments. Unfortunately, long hair can also get unruly. Perhaps you’ve scoured Pinterest and learned how to curl your hair while you sleep – or maybe you’ve invested in products to tame the curls you naturally have.
But what about those days when you have no time to prepare, and a ponytail just won’t cut it? On those days I am grateful for the fact that long and flowing isn’t the only style that is “in” – it has also become trendy again to braid those tresses.
The only problem is … what if you don’t know how? If, like me, you didn’t grow up braiding your doll’s hair and have no idea where to begin (or just need a refresher course), you’re in luck. The Internet has a variety of tutorials for a variety of styles.
I’ve recently added dozens of new hairstyles to my routine – many of them incorporating braids – all thanks to a few good instructional manuals and sites. You don’t have to try them all, just start with a couple new styles to master.
Here are few of my favorites:
- Basic Braid – This a a great visual explanation of a simple three-stranded braid for styles like mine in the middle.
- French Braid – A fun way to remember the basics of french braiding. I used to be completely overwhelmed by the idea of french braiding and now it’s a no-brainer.
- Fishtail Braid – This braid has taken the fashion world by storm! There are many ways to incorporate it into updos. Watch this video for the variation I did in the first photo above.
- Waterfall Braid – This is a great way to wear your hair down without it looking un-styled. And much easier than it seems at first glance.
- Braided Headband – Another style that you can utilize with any hair type. I like to do this now as my bangs grow out as shown in the third photo.
- Heidi Braids – Super sweet, essentially two braided headbands crossed at the top.
What is your favorite way to wear your long hair? Have you tackled any new braids recently?