“We wear short shorts …” If you have the strains of the old song from the Nair hair removal commercial then you are probably of a certain age and let’s face it, in need of a revision on the world of shorts. How we wear shorts has changed radically in the last two decades. What was once considered unacceptable (ahem … shorts at work) no longer applies. Today, shorts are another version of a skirt, skort or pair of pants. There are rules and we are going to break them down for you.
When it comes to shorts there are three lengths to consider. Each one has its own benefits and drawbacks. Some work for women of a certain age and others go with height and size. If you happen to be one of those ladies gifted with gorgeous gams at any age then go ahead and flaunt them!
- Short shorts. Hello, legs! This length hits at the upper thigh and shows off well with a higher heeled shoe. The young and toned look best in this look especially when they keep the top from being too outlandish. Wear short shorts and you better keep it modest on top.
- Mid-length shorts work for a variety of ages and sizes. Today the options have become plentiful. From prints to plaids and bold colors you can wear this style a multitude of ways. Dress it up for brunch, with a long jacket, add dressed up flats or a stacked heel. Add a blazer for work or keep them strictly with flat sandals for the weekend. Just make sure they aren’t skin tight. A well-fitting pair of mid-length shorts are worth their weight in gold.
- Long shorts are best worn with a higher heel and dressed up. With flats, unless you are tall, long shorts can make legs look stumpy. Great for any age from 5-50 and up, long shorts go well with a blouse, embellished top or dressy tank and some jewelry.
Tips and Tricks
- That tired suit combo or skirts with shirts is getting really old. Why not mix it up with a matching set of shorts and top? This fashion forward look will have you looking like you just stepped off your favorite fashion bloggers very own website. It’s a fresh take on shorts that is a great alternative to the dress.
- We see a lot of heels with shorts today. Is it ever OK to wear? The answer is yes and no. Yes, to stacked heels and wedges but no to the high stilettos that only the very young can pull off. Flats are always a safer and safe alternative that can really change up a look.