Finger Food Football Fare – Pizza with a Flare!
September 13, 2014
Football season is upon us and tailgating is a large part of those games. As a tailgater, I find that finger food is so much easier to eat than something that requires a fork or spoon, since you are normally standing around and a paper plate starts to get soggy. Grilling is an easy way to make finger food.
There’s an amazing Buffalo Chicken Pizza recipe that allows you to prepare all your ingredients ahead of time and cook it in minutes on the grill once you get to the tailgate. Slice it up into small slivers and serve!
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into small strips
- 1 cup buffalo wing hot sauce plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 (13.8 ounce) can refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup red onions, sliced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- Set up grill for direct cooking over medium heat, and oil the grill grate when you are ready to start cooking.
- Place chicken strips in large bowl with 1 cup buffalo wing sauce and toss to coat chicken. Grill chicken strips about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- While chicken is grilling carefully remove pizza dough from can. Unroll dough onto a flat surface. Spray both sides of the dough with nonstick cooking spray. Place the dough on the grill and let cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Carefully watch the crust, it can burn quickly.
- Spread the blue cheese dressing over pizza leaving a 1-inch border. Next, top with mozzarella cheese, red onion, celery, and chicken strips, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of buffalo wing hot sauce.
- Cover with grill lid and cook 8 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve hot.
You can also prepare this at home, indoors – great for a day that got rained out!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Carefully unroll dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Press out dough with clean hands to form 13 by 9-inch rectangle.
- Place baking sheet in preheated oven. Bake for 7 minutes or until crust just begins to brown.
- Remove crust from oven and top as directed in above directions.
- Return to oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Don’t forget to bring a pizza slicer to cut the pizza!