This extra rich nothing-but-chocolate cake is a mouth-watering sensation. This recipe makes the most decadent birthday cake or cupcake and is perfect for all of the upcoming holidays!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup hot water
- In large mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk and vegetable oil. Mix ingredients on medium speed until thoroughly blended.
- Add vanilla and hot water, mix well. Batter will be runny.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan or 2, 9 inch round pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Check with a wooden toothpick.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- Note: You can also make this recipe into cupcakes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Makes approximately 24-30 cupcakes.
Decadent Chocolate Frosting
- 1 stick butter
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In large mixing bowl beat butter.
- Add cocoa and mix well.
- Add powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Mix on medium to high speed until fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Note: I suggest doubling this recipe for a double layer cake.
There are many things you can do with this basic cake recipe to make it even more delicious.
- You can add chocolate chips (mini work best) in between layers, on top and even around the edge of the cake for a true chocolate lovers dream.
- You can also turn this into a “turtle” cake. Simply add finely chopped nuts (I use pecans) and a caramel topping. I like to add them in between the layers and also on top. You can do the same thing if you are making cupcakes.
- Sprinkle M&Ms on top and they are my kids absolute favorite school treat!
This recipe is a very moist cake, I often will refrigerate the frosted cake and the frosting turns into an almost fudge-like consistency. So use your imagination, have fun and impress your friends and family!