With summer only a month away, delicious strawberries will soon be ripe for the picking. What’s even more delicious than eating fresh strawberries? Strawberry shortcake! This is my favorite low-fat sponge cake recipe for a perfect summertime dessert.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a mixing bowl beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
- Add orange peel, orange juice, and vanilla. Beat on low until combined.
- Gradually beat in the 1 cup of sugar at low speed, increase to medium speed and beat until mixture thickens slightly and doubles in volume.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the flour over egg yolk mixture, fold in until combined.
- Repeat with remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time, set egg mixture aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1 cup of the beaten egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Fold egg yolk mixture into remaining egg white mixture.
- Pour into an 10 inch tube pan (or you can use regular 9×2 inch round pans).
- Bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool on wire rack or serve warm topped with fresh strawberries or any fresh fruit of your choice!
Lemon Sponge Cake: Prepare as above, except substitute 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel for the orange peel, and 1/4 cup lemon juice plus 1/4 cup water for the orange juice,
ChocolateSponge Cake: Prepare as above, except omit orange peel. Reduce the flour to 1 cup and stir 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder into flour.