This recipe, courtesy of Squidoo is by far the best dessert I have made in a long time, combining a moist cake with cinnamon roll flavors. But to make me feel better, I actually cut up a strawberry so I felt like I was making the dish healthy!
Cinnamon Roll Cake
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 glass baking pan with cooking spray.
- In an electric or stand mixer add the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until well combined. Slowly stir in the melted butter. Pour into the prepared 9×13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl mix butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together until well combined and creamy. Drop evenly over the batter by the tablespoonful and use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out nearly clean.
- In a medium bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together with a whisk. Drizzle evenly over the warm cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
And if you really want to do a cinnamon roll breakfast, here is a wonderful pancake recipe that will have the whole family clamoring for second helpings.
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
These delicious pancakes from Recipe Girl are to die for! It seems like a lot of work, but it’s definitely worth it.
Cinnamon Filling Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Glaze Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 2 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pancake Ingredients (can also make from a mix):
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
Cinnamon Filling Directions:
- Combine brown sugar, melted butter, and cinnamon in a medium size bowl.
- Scoop into a plastic bag and set aside. Before using, open up bag and stir to make sure the butter is fully mixed in.
- In a small pan melt the butter over low heat.
- In the pan, whisk together the cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Take off of the heat and set aside until ready to use on pancakes.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk together the milk, egg, and oil.
- Heat skillet to medium low. Once preheated, spray with non-stick spray.
- Add about ½ cup of the batter to the skillet. Wait until bubbles start to form.
- Snip the corner of the cinnamon filling, and create a swirl pattern in the center of the pancake. Be careful not to get it too close to the edge.
- With a wide metal spatula flip the pancake over and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
- Wipe out the pan each time and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Warm the glaze if needed and drizzle over pancakes.
They say cinnamon is a good spice for you. So, don’t feel too guilty eating these delicious cinnamon bun twists.