Kindness and compassion are two things I am constantly trying to instill in my children. It’s important as a way to show respect and really connect with those around us. Every day we see more proof that connections hold the power to heal. We hear of groups coming together in vigils and to pray for others, and the results can be astounding.
That’s why Dignity Health created the Heartbeat Symphony. As a musical expression of our collective bond, this one-of-a-kind musical composition will symbolize the connections that link us together.
Our heart is our most important instrument, steadily composing the rhythm of our lives. But imagine if the rhythm of your heart could actually create music. You can do just that. Dignity Health enlisted the creative genius of composer Miles Kennedy to create a symphony of human heartbeats that could grow and evolve the more people that joined in. This is where YOU come in! In celebration of American Heart Month, Dignity Health is now inviting everyone to add their own rhythm to the Heartbeat Symphony.
It’s easy to do:
- Go to the Heartbeat Symphony website via your computer or phone.
- Click “Add Your Heartbeat.”
- Allow the website temporary access to your webcam so it can take your photo and capture your heartbeat.
- The application will ask if you want to use the photo that is taken, upload a new photo, or use the brand image of a heart in place of a photo – please choose whichever you are most comfortable with!
- Add your heartbeat, and we’ll find the perfect instrument for it in the orchestra. (i.e., Cello, Flute, Drum, Violin, French Horn and more.)
- Share that instrument in our comments below for the chance to win a $100 gift certificate from SocialMoms! And make sure to share it with your friends. Sharing heartbeat music with someone you love is a great way to raise awareness for #AmericanHeartMonth!
So how does the technology work?
The experience is based off of current facial-reading technology. This takes your approximate heartbeat by sensing the changes in the blood flow to your skin from your cheeks, for example. These fluctuations are imperceptible to the naked eye, and can now be detected by your webcam or camera phone. Then the sequencer takes your heartbeat reading and turns it into music, choosing an instrument that compliments your heartbeat. The experience then pairs your heart music with video clips that match your instrument and plays it for you in real time. So cool!
Leave a comment below sharing your instrument and how you felt about the experience. Then use the Rafflecopter widget for a chance to win a $100 Amazon gift card.