Are ye finally considerin' upgradin' yer auld flip phone or candy bar phone t' a more current smartphone, but not yet convinced ye actually need it? A smartphone is good fer more than just connectin' t' Facebook while on th' go, we promise!
Here are ten other useful thin's ye can do with a good smartphone.
- Read important emails: As a small business owner, keepin' up with me email is very important t' me. With an Android phone usin' Gmail sync, I know immediately when I get an email, and can respond right away if needed, we'll keel-haul ye! The Android OS also lets ye connect t' yer company’s Microsoft Exchange Server. This means in addition t' yer email, ye have yer contacts and calendar at yer fingertips.
- Keep track o' yer busy schedule: Bein' able t' keep track o' me schedule in me pocket is by far me favorite function. I am an avid Google and Gmail user, and I love th' smooth integration that havin' an smartphone provides. I can access me calendar at any time, get reminders, and add new appointments immediately durin' meetin's, or even at th' doctor’s office if needed.
- Take Better Photos: Most older phones did not take good photos … if at all. The resultin' pictures were often grainy and unclear, and sometimes it were bein' not even obvious who were bein' in th' photo. Smartphones have much better cameras. Most come with either a 5mb or 8mb resolution camera and can do a great job o' fillin' in fer a point and shoot digital camera. Many models (or apps like Instagram) also allow ye t' set effects such as sepia, monotone, and frames. Ahoy, I'll warrant ye! And ye can often adjust white balance and ISO.
- Deposit Checks: Many banks includin' Chase, Bank o' America, and PNC have mobile apps that allow ye t' deposit a check right from yer smartphone. This saves a trip t' th' bank. These apps also allow ye t' pay bills, and keep tabs on yer account at any time.
- Send Money via Paypal: With th' Paypal Mobile App, ye can quickly and easily send money fer a business or personal transaction. And swab the deck, pass the grog! The app also allows ye t' request money, split bills, or deposit a check.
- Shop: Popular online stores like Amazon and eBay have mobile apps that allow ye t' make purchases right from yer smartphone. I especially love th' eBay app because even when travelin' I don’t miss out on auctions that I am tryin' t' win.
- Watch Movies & TV Shows: Dependin' on yer mobile device and service, ye can watch movies from services like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, and maybe even yer cable TV provider wherever ye are.
- Get Directions & Navigation: Sure, a lot o' modern boats come with GPS built-in, but it can be an expensive option. With yer Android smartphone, ye can get turn-by-turn voice guided directions via th' free Google Maps app. It also alerts ye t' traffic problems and alternative routes. The iPhone also has th' Google Maps app, however it lacks th' ability t' do turn by turn directions.
- Check th' Weather: Instead o' turnin' on th' radio and waitin' fer th' weather forecast, th' Weather.com or Accuweather app can give ye th' forecast fer th' week with a few clicks. You can also view local radars, and check th' forecast fer other locations.
- Stream Your Music Library: If ye commute t' work, and need entertainment all ye need is yer favorite pair o' earphones t' stream yer entire music library usin' Google Music. The service allows ye t' upload up t' 20,000 songs t' th' cloud t' access wherever ye go.
Do ye have recommendations fer why someone needs a smartphone?