Pineapple is one of the most delicious, nutritious fruits and it’s a favorite at my house for sure! Growing up, this recipe was always one of my grandmother’s favorite to make. I almost forgot how good this traditional cake could taste.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 8-ounce can pineapple slices, drained and halved
- 4 maraschino cherries, halved
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter or margarine in a 9×1.5 inch round baking pan.
- Stir in brown sugar and water.
- Arrange pineapple and cherries in the pan, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together granulated sugar, flour, and baking powder.
- Add the 1/4 cup butter or margarine, egg, milk and vanilla.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, loosen sides and invert onto a plate.
Another great way to use these ingredients are to make pineapple upside down cupcakes. They make a great treat for the kids or a great dessert to bring to a gathering or barbecue. You’ll actually be making them upside down from the start.
- Line muffin tins with paper liners, fill the cup 1/2 way full with batter.
- Add some small pieces of pineapple over batter, (crushed pineapple works great).
- Add about a teaspoon full of the brown sugar, water, butter mixture over the top of batter-pineapple mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Ready to serve!