Zucchini Desserts: Brownies & Blueberry Zucchini Cake
July 14, 2016
Summertime means everyone’s gardens are starting to sprout delicious fresh fruits and vegetables. I usually end up with a lot more zucchini than I need, or my kids want, but I’ve found the best way to hide it is to bake it into a treat! It’s perfect for using up the fresh vegetables and also a great way to sneak in a little green vegetable and fruit into your children’s diet. Check out our Blueberry Zucchini Cake and Zucchini Brownie recipes below.
Blueberry Zucchini Cake with Lemon Buttercream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 2 cups finely shredded and drained zucchini
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 pint fresh blueberries (you can reserve a few for garnish if you choose)
Lemon Buttercream Ingredients:
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Grate a large zucchini (or two small) and place in a clean dishtowel. Squeeze until most of the liquid comes out. You will want to have a a total of 2 cups grated, after it has been drained. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Slowly add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Divide batter evenly into two 8 or 9 inch prepared round pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Lemon Buttercream Directions:
- Combine butter, sugar and salt and beat until well combined.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and continue to beat for another 3 to 5 minutes or until creamy.
- Fold in zest.
- Frost and ENJOY.
If you don’t like blueberries try some fresh raspberries instead!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (1 large or 2 small zucchinis)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flower a 9×13″ pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended.
- Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture.
- Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
- Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.
- Mix together the cocoa and butter; set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners’ sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir in the cocoa mixture.
- Spread over cooled brownies.
- Chill to semi-set.