There is no doubt about it, this is the year of athleisure, matching sets, sweats, and the all-important perfect tee. Like everyone else, you are at home and probably still WFH right now. The hot summer months have removed the intense need to find just the right Zoom shirt that was all the rage early in the pandemic. Right now, it is all about the t-shirt.
From graphic tees that express your mood of the moment to shirts that make you and others laugh or relate, the t-shirt offers connection as well as comfort. Soft, durable, and beyond versatile you can wear them at home, while out and socially distancing, and even tucked under a cardigan or blazer on that mandatory meeting with work.
Find Your Style
For something made from cotton and often regarded as the most basic clothing option, the t-shirt is a very personal piece. Before you shop think about what type of tee you like best. Ask yourself these questions.
- What suits your lifestyle right now and what do you find the most comfortable? The search for the perfect white t-shirt is a whole other issue.
- Are you a V-neck lover or a crewneck gal?
- Do you care if its sustainable or 100% cotton?
- Are you only looking for solid colors, raglan, baseball tees or do you love a good graphic tee? Look at what you already own and love and work from there.
Decide if you need to branch out into texture like ribbed or a lettuce tee or be bold with a crop top version. It is all about what makes you feel good because in the end that is what the perfect t-shirt is all about.
Where to Shop
There are a lot of places to look online for the perfect t-shirt. Once you narrowed down what you need or want you can begin to buy. Here are some of our tried and true favorites and a few surprises thrown in.
- Everlane knows how to rock the basics. Their Boxy Raglan tee is always a good bet and it is made from 100% organic cotton too.
- J. Crew offers variety, bright colors, 100% cotton options that are perfect for layering under blazers, tucking into skirts, or pairing with any type of denim. Their classic graphics are seasonal and cute in style. Look at their Factory website for great quality and lower price points.
- Hanes for men, women, and kids. Yes, I said it. The most basic find and economical. I bought a 3-pack of V-necks over a decade ago and use them for bed, layering, and with jeans, cardigans, and blazers. Always a classic and easy to find.
- Re/Done has mastered the boxy tee, the softer tee, and all the others in between. You might pay more but you will not regret the purchase ever.
How to Rock It
Put away the idea that t-shirts are meant to be worn to bed and cannot be dressed up. I recently wore a V-neck muscle t-shirt from J. Crew Factory paired with a satin leopard midi skirt and black platform sandals. I was comfortable at home and out on a date. Take your favorite graphic tee beyond your workout and dress it up with paper bag pants. Tuck it into a skirt of any type and head out the door. Throw on a solid color that makes you smile or a set of stripes and keep that long cardigan nearby for chilly nights and rooms with high a/c. On that next Zoom, meeting let your statement tee peek out from a blazer and put on your best smile.