Take a look around and it won’t take long to notice that the way women dress for work has undergone a few changes. The rules of yesteryear no longer apply. The new way of workplace dressing incorporates color and allows more freedom. As we move into the new fall season it’s time to figure out new ways to put your best foot forward at the office.
Unless you work in a place with a uniform or strict dress code – like a hospital, doctor’s office, law firm or in finance – there are many new ways to show your personality and true self in the workplace realm. It just takes a bit of closet reassessment and following some of these new rules. So give your suits, black pants and blazer a break and let’s get started.
Standards like black, white, navy and other neutral tones were the mainstays of office dress. In the past bold shades could be seen as too flamboyant. Not true today.
- Invest in the color of red. This powerful color does in facet show a sense of power. Use it as an accent color with the tried and true neutral hues. A red blouse or blazer works well when paired with a pencil skirt in black. A red scarf, swipe of lipstick or sheath dress gives a sense of strength that shows you can take charge.
- The cobalt blue trend is not going anywhere. It makes an excellent statement as a pop of color in a heel while still being on the practical side. Play up with more colors in the jewel tone set for fall 2015. Emerald green, fuchsia and marigold look sharp against your everyday neutrals.
- Don’t be scared of animal prints. A small dose of leopard or zebra can work well when done with a light hand. Think scarves, ballet flats, or kitten heel pumps.
This fall is all about the textures. Sumptuous fabrics like brocade, jacquard, velvet and tweed will be seen all over. Take advantage of this trend and add some pieces to your work wardrobe to add a bit of texture to your daily look.
- A tweed blazer never goes out of style. In neutral colors it layers well with a skirt, over a dress or set of pants. Dark colors also work.
- Dark colored houndstooth or brocade skirt or pants pairs well with a colorful blouse. Keep the shoes neutral.
Add an Accent
Don’t forget to incorporate a finishing touch to your outfit to complete your office chic transformation.
- A workbag that makes a statement shows your power. A structured bag or tote holds all your workplace needs.
- A metal cuff bracelet won’t jangle and make a racket and statement earrings or a necklace also add a level of sophistication to your day wear that shows polish.