Winter is coming and so is the holiday season. That means it’s time to start getting decked out for parties, get-togethers and other holiday festivities. Wouldn’t it be nice to have one thing locked down? Just one little go-to item that pulls your look all together when it is time to get ready? We’ve got you covered. You just need to pick your winter coat! I’m not talking parkas and pea coats. I’m talking about nail polish. Luxe colors that add depth and polish to your look each time with a little cold weather nail care thrown in for good measure.
Winter Nail Care 101
Here are the three best tips – for your tips – once the cold wind starts blowing, the temperatures start dropping, and your skin and nails dry. Remember nail beds need love too. All that hand washing, sanitizing and heated air mixed with cold weather creates a lack of moisture for our nails. It’s time to fix those dried out cuticles, chipped and brittle nails with rough edges.
- Cover up! Wear mittens or gloves when outside. Wear rubber gloves when washing dishes or doing any sort of wet cleaning job. This will lock moisture into nails.
- Lather on the lotion. Keep lotion nearby at all times. Pack it in your purse, at your desk, near your bathroom and kitchen sink and even in your nightstand. Apply it whenever hands and nails feel dry and after each hand washing. Stay away from scented lotions as the additives can be drying.
- Use a non-acetone nail polish remover and use it sparingly. Remover dries out nails so try to keep it to a minimum of swiping once a week.
Hot Holiday Hues
Just like the plush fabrics showcased this holiday season nail colors are no exception. Think about the colors that compliment lush velvets, beautiful brocades and cozy tweeds hanging in your closet and work from there. Berry tones, metallics in rose, copper, gold and silver all shine and enhance your holiday look from Thanksgiving to ringing in the New Year. Here are a few of my favorites.
- CND Vinylux Weekly Polish in ‘Rouge Rite’ gives you a hit of that glossy red berry color we all crave each December.
- Smith & Cult Nail Lacquer in ‘Dirty Baby’ is a glittery mix of silver and black that hits the mark when the clock strikes twelve. Jin Soon Nail Lacquer in ‘Motif’ is a chunkier version that looks more rockin’ New Year’s Eve. Want something more like the fizz of champagne? Jin Soon also makes a pearlescent creamy color called ‘Cachet’.
- OPI Nail Lacquer in ‘Worth a Pretty Penne’ creates a coppery fall harvest glow on your digits that gives a metallic sparkle too. It’s perfect for the final month of autumn.