Capsule wardrobes are nothing new. Call it a minimalist approach to working your closet. How minimal you go is really up to you. As blogger, Un-Fancy states, “Capsule wardrobes are awesome because they are all about spending less time on clothes.” And don’t we all want more time while still looking fabulous each day? Here is what you need to know to get your capsule wardrobe started.
Why do more than just spring clean your closet? Well, you’ll spend less money each year on clothes (hello, vacation fund!) and you’ll do less laundry. By creating a capsule wardrobe you have higher quality clothing but spend less over time. Fast-fashion items will be nearly eliminated from your closet. How eco-friendly of you! The best part about capsule wardrobes is that they help you define your sense of personal style.
Follow the Rules
There are a few simple rules when prepping your closet for this less-is-more approach.
- Your underwear, accessories, workout wear or special occasion/cocktail attire don’t count with the capsule wardrobe.
- Get behind the idea that 30-40 items are all you need. That includes tops, bottoms, dresses, outerwear and shoes. That’s 30-40 items for a season (3 months) or you can bump it up to 50 pieces. It’s up to you on how much you want to eliminate and simplify. That means that your winter coat is part of your 3-month winter capsule but gets stored for summer. Your pretty slides can hang out on the shoe rack in spring and summer capsules but are put away during fall and winter.
- This is probably the most important rule to capsule dressing: The clothes must fit, be appropriate to the season and your life.
- Pick your colors. What looks good on you? What makes your heart sing? Narrow down your color scheme in this way and you have a great palette to create versatile looks.
- Think about your days. Are you home often or working and taking meetings? Do you go out a lot? This will greatly influence your 30-40 piece picks.
- What do you grab from your closet over and over again? For me, I cannot stay away from stripes. I love square necklines and denim with flats. In the winter, I rock a knee-high boot almost daily with anything I wear. These are all my go-to pieces. Build your picks around the items you crave.
- Create your outfits from the colors and pieces you love. Each season is a new capsule and as you get into it you will simplify and have fewer questions about what to wear each day. Less really is more in so many ways.