Show Off Those Waves & Curls
March 19, 2015
When it comes to wavy hair — or any hair with a bit of curl to it — the daily care can be hardcore. You have to hydrate often and keep those waves from looking frizzy, dry and out of control. Most days anyway. It seems pretty simple, right? Then how come it seems like with each weather change the odds are against you? Fear not, we have some simple tips to help keep your waves and curls in top shape all the time. It is your crown after all, so let’s keep it looking its best.
In the Beginning
First step is right when you step into the shower. Don’t use just any shampoo. Grab a hydrating one that adds moisture back into your locks. Keep away from harsh chemical-laden formulas as they tend to take moisture out even when they claim to add it back in. If it is for thick, textured hair then all the better. Brands that are marked “dry or damaged hair” will work too as their formulas are very similar.
Condition, condition, condition, that is the next step to keeping your locks luscious. While you are in the shower and slathering on that moisturizing conditioner give it a boost.
- Step out of the shower.
- Wrap a warm towel around your hair turban style and let it sit for 10-15 minutes so the hair can soften and absorb the product.
- Step back into the shower and rinse with cool water. You’ll use fewer products this way with added moisture.
You can use a deep conditioner or masque once a week in the same way to add even more shine, body and strength to your waves.
There are some style tips and products that are all the rage right now … but some are pure myth. Don’t make these mistakes and end up hurting your hair.
- Stay away from the sea salt spray. This stuff is made up of salt which dries out the hair. It may be trendy but you can have the same effect by putting an anti-frizz serum or cream and a leave-in conditioner in your wet hair and letting it sit in a towel for 10-15 minutes to absorb extra water. Undo and let hair air dry without the damage but still keep the shine and soft waves.
- Don’t dry hair upside down. Doing this may add volume but it also increases the frizz. The same goes for brushing your hair in and up and down motion while drying it. It roughs up the cuticle and takes away shine.
- No rubbing. When your hair is wet and you want to dry it with a towel, just don’t rub. Pat and squeeze to avoid breakage and frizz.