July 26, 2013
Summers are very hectic at my house. I juggle the normal work and home responsibilities that are always part of my routine – but now I’m also dealing with the kids hanging out in the living room (which is my office). In the summer, I also get to play mom’s taxi service and drive the kids all over town to friends’ houses, the pool, and the mall. I find myself getting up a little bit earlier each morning and staying up a little bit later each night hoping to catch up on work I cannot do while the kids are awake.
When it’s a particularly difficult day and dinner is looming in the schedule, I need a quick, healthy recipe that everyone will love. This Chili con Carne on Pasta recipe is a huge hit in our home. It is healthy, inexpensive to prepare and absolutely delicious.
Chili Con Carne on Pasta
- 1 pound of ground beef (ground turkey or chicken to cut fat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 15 oz can of red kidney beans
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- Cooked pasta
- Saute the chopped onions in olive oil in a large pot with a lid.
- Add ground beef (or ground turkey or chicken) to the pot and cook until browned.
- Add garlic and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add chili powder, paprika, oregano and tomato paste.
- Cook and stir for about 5 minutes. You can add a bit of water to the mixture if it gets too thick.
- Add beef broth, tomatoes, and kidney beans.
- Simmer over low heat until it thickens. This took me about an hour.
- Serve the chili con carne over pasta.
- Top with shredded Cheddar cheese, scallions, or sour cream as you prefer.
To make this recipe gluten-free, serve over rice instead of pasta.
Do you have a quick recipe for busy days that your family loves?