July 31, 2011
Let this post be a cheering section for you moms who need to hit the gym and build muscle as part of your fitness plan! I believe in the benefits of weight training so strongly, that I’d ditch a run, hike, swim, bike or climb for a strength training workout. Feeling strong, and having the knowledge you are strong, will give you confidence that YOU can do things you never thought possible.
Moms, having muscles is sexy! We all have the same muscles; it’s just a matter of what you do to them to make them stand out. I know a lot of women who spend hours on a treadmill, bicycle or go running – and they still can’t lift a 16 pound box of laundry detergent to put it on a shelf. And then there’s the mom who hurts her back putting the stroller in the car. Or the mom who drives her children from one practice to the next, never having taken any time for herself – only to wake up one day and find that climbing the stairs is a workout!
Too often, I see women who want to get fit but are afraid of weight – any weight! They think 5 or 10 pound dumbbells are weight and that should be enough to “get in a workout” and yes, it is, if that’s your starting point. What really gets results is lifting heavy. And, by heavy, I mean as heavy as you can go for sets of 3 or 5. The last rep of the set of 3 or 5 should be so heavy that you can barely make the lift.
The benefits of strength training for women are too long to list, so I will simply include the ones that are near and dear to my heart.
- Your dress size will go DOWN. The more muscle you have, the smaller you are.
- When I am sixty, I want to be strong enough to lift my grandkids and play hard with them … not watch from the lawn chair!
- The more muscle you have, the more you can eat.
- Lifting heavy weights is empowering for women. I love the having the knowledge that I can lift 220 pounds off the floor and that is one and a half times my bodyweight.
- You are strong enough to move furniture on your own. You are your own superhero!
So, moms, now is the time to get in the best shape of your life. Make yourself comfortable in that weight room, don’t be afraid to ask for a spotter and be confident in the knowledge that you are changing your live.