The holiday bulge might be creeping up on you. Kick it to the curb and keep your New Year’s “healthier you” resolutions by taking up one of the top new fitness trends for 2014. No matter what your speed or fitness level there is a class or workout that can fit your schedule and personality type. Checking out a new class or style is another way to challenge your body and maximize your fitness level.
Feel the Burn
- HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) takes the number one spot as gyms, trainers and people all over the country break a sweat to this 30-minute (and under) training regime. Involving quick bursts of intense activity followed by shorter periods of rest this metabolism-boosting training slims you down while creating lean muscle fast. Check out Fitness Blender online, PX90, or Metabolic Effect and Crossfit classes at your local fitness center.
- Body Weight Training also known as resistance style training is one of the easiest but most effective ways to get fit because it uses almost no equipment. The weight of your body is the resistance. Affordable and “back to basics” fitness it is comprised of moves like planks, sit-ups, push-ups and more. It can be done anywhere at any time making it something anyone can take part it regardless of their lifestyle.
- Circuit Training has been around for a long time but it is making a comeback, much like yoga. Less intense than high-intensity interval training, the workout consists of six to ten exercises in an organized sequence with specific repetitions or timeframe. You can do circuit training in a group or alone, in a class or solo, at home or outdoors or the gym. The possibilities are endless and no one is excluded in this trend.
- If you have ever worked out using a Wii Fit and gotten involved in an online fitness community then you have had a taste of this latest trend, Online Workouts. YouTube is full of online fitness classes and communities and now companies like Daily Burn are offering loads of online programs like HIIT, Barre Fit, Yoga, Pilates and Physique 57 straight from the studio into your home. Practical, time-saving and inexpensive it is perfect for travelers, busy moms and people who dislike the gym environment.
- Yoga, in all its varieties is showing some real staying power. Being added into combinations classes, think Spinning with a dose of yoga at the end, it is not just one slow, OM-inducing moment. Hot Yoga that brings on the sweat goes beyond Bikram and its rigid rules and breaks free allowing for many variations, levels and flexibility levels. Yoga for stress-busting, lean muscle, pliability and overall well-being is what this latest rendition is all about.
What fitness trend will you try this year?