January and its resolutions may be over but that doesn’t mean we have to throw in the gym towel and forget our hopes for a healthier life. It just means we have to continue to find and incorporate healthy habits into our daily routine until they become exactly that – a routine. There are some surprisingly fast, simple ways to do something small each day that work together and will jump start your health in mind, body and soul. Let’s get cracking, shall we?
She’s Got Body & Brains
Yup, we all want that perfect combination of body and brains. You can have it too if you do the following.
- Make sleep a top priority. We know it is true but we fall prey to staying up late, drinking one too many glasses of wine before bed and then get too little sleep or toss and turn all night. Sleep helps you fight sicknesses from the common cold to more serious illnesses. Getting z’s regulates your weight and stress levels too. The best combination for overall good health is between 7-9 hours. Shoot for that 7 days a week and you will notice a difference fast.
- I like to move it. You should too and it doesn’t matter how you choose to do it. Thirty minutes a day, every day is all you need. So take a hike. Go for a walk, get outside and run or find a fitness class you love. Dance around your living room if that’s what it will take.
- Stand more, sit less. It lowers your blood pressure and helps keep your circulation going strong.
- Stretch it out. Whether it’s morning yoga or energizing mid-day desk stretch routine either one helps ease aches and pains and recharges both your mind and body.
Food to feed the soul is always good advice. Obviously there are some foods that are better than others and cleaning out the junk food is the first step but these are always good rules to follow.
- Drink half your body weight in fluid ounces of water daily and not only will you look refreshed, your skin be more youthful but you will have more energy too.
- Tossing the Salad. Find ways to incorporate greens of any kind into your regular favorites. Toss kale into your smoothie or soup. Add spinach to your tomato sauce and arugula too. I often puree mine and add it to everything from eggs to tacos to desserts and no one is the wiser.
- Go nuts! These little protein-packed pieces of fuel offer healthy doses of fat and antioxidants that fill you up while giving your heart lots of omega 3s.
- So long soda! When I crave the fizz of a carbonated drink I reach for some seltzer or other carbonated water instead. A slice of lemon or a few berries tossed into the drink adds flavor and fizz while getting some fresh fruit.