Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you end up needing natural ways to treat sunburn. I always apply sunscreen when I go out in the sun, but occasionally I forget to reapply it as often as I should. When that happens, I occasionally end up with a sunburn because I have very light skin. While a severe sunburn should receive medical attention, a mild sunburn can be treated at home to provide relief until it fades.
7 Natural Ways to Treat Sunburn
There isn’t any way to make sunburn disappear. It’s mostly a matter of time. But, there are ways you can help relieve the pain of a sunburn until it fades enough to stop hurting.
- Drink more water. Drinking water will help hydrate your skin and help it to heal faster.
- Apply aloe vera gel. Apply a natural aloe vera gel to your burn. Aloe will cool the burn and help heal your skin.
- Spray your skin with apple cider vinegar. After taking a cool shower, spray your skin with unfiltered apple cider vinegar. ACV will help your skin heal faster.
- Dab on witch hazel. Witch hazel contains tannins which help your skin heal more quickly and help reduce swelling. Soak a cotton ball in witch hazel and then gently dab on the sunburn.
- Use oatmeal. Place about 2 cups of oats in a cloth bag or clean sock and toss it in the tub as it fills with cool water. Oats contain polysaccharides which help heal your skin.
- Rub on yogurt. Rub plain yogurt (no flavor or sugar) onto your skin for cooling relief. Be certain that the yogurt contains live active cultures so you get the probiotic benefit. Let it sit on your skin for about 5 minutes and then rinse off with cool water.
- Grate a cucumber. Cucumber helps reduce swelling and calms sunburned skin. Grate a cucumber and apply it to the sunburned area. If you have a larger area, liquefy it in a blender and mix with a bit of cornstarch. Then apply to the burn, leave it on for ten minutes and rinse off.
The next time that you come home from the beach or in from the garden with a bit of a sunburn, I hope that a few of these natural ways to treat sunburn will work for you. Don’t forget to apply sunscreen before you leave the house which is the best way to avoid sunburn.