Follow the Giving Comfort Words of Comfort Tour #GivingComfort
August 8, 2014
This year, more than 1.6 million people in the United States will be diagnosed with cancer. Hundreds of thousands struggle to pay for basic needs, leaving them unable to afford the comfort items that make treatment more bearable. Giving Comfort, a nonprofit program of the McKesson Foundation, provides patients in need with Comfort Kits. Comfort Kits are cancer care packages filled with high-quality comfort items that are most needed and requested by patients undergoing treatment: A soft blanket, warm socks, soothing tea, moisturizer, lip balm, a sleeping cap, and much more.
This summer the Words of Comfort Tour is taking Comfort Kits on the road. Spanning more than 6,000 miles and 12 cities, the Tour includes visits to Giving Comfort Distribution Partners – the hospital cancer centers and cancer support organizations like American Cancer Society Hope Lodges – that provide the Comfort Kits to patients across the country on an ongoing basis.
Follow the tour online on their Tumblr, Instagram, and Facebook accounts.
Bren with B So Chic says she she has had several family members affected by cancer. She decided to do something about it.
Last Friday, on a super gloomy day in DC, and after one of my busiest weeks ever, I threw on some flats, a maxi skirt, hair all wet still, and drove down to Richmond to spend the day with Giving Comfort, a non-profit organization sponsored by the McKesson Foundation, dedicated to enrich the lives of low-income cancer patients receiving treatment. Through Comfy, their larger than life happy blue mascot, they go from cancer center to center, nationwide and hand out fun and comforting care and comfort packages.
I saw more happy faces from children to adults and elderly light up when Comfy came around to hug and hand out bags full of simple yet touching tokens of affection than I have at a kids playground after school. The tenderness in which the care packages are delivered is mentionable. Each one is filled with essentials like blankets, games, a journal, socks, amenities, books to read and more. The purpose is simple: to make patients comfortable during an uncomfortable time.
You can help too!
- Leave your words of comfort online here. You can write encouraging words (or upload a photo or video) and Giving Comfort will send your thoughts to a patient in need, as part of a Comfort Kit.
Donate money toward a Comfort Kit:
- Giving Comfort uses 100% of your donation (you choose the dollar amount) to purchase products and ship Comfort Kits to patients.
- If you choose to donate in honor of someone, they will send a customized eCard to the honoree or whoever else you choose, notifying them of the donation.
- A low-income cancer patient in 160 locations across the U.S. gets comfort when they need it most.
Purchase a Comfort Kit for a friend or family member with cancer:
- An attractive cancer care package full of high-quality comfort items is shipped directly to the recipient.
- A personal note is included in the package.
- Comfort kids are customized for men, women, and younger and older boys and girls.
- All proceeds from your purchase are used to support Giving Comfort – it’s a purchase with a purpose!
Learn more about Giving Comfort on their website and make sure to follow them on Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
SocialMoms is giving away a $100 gift card! Just comment below, telling us ways you might comfort a cancer patient in need.