We all know that eating a healthy meal or snack before hitting the gym or any workout is one of the smartest things you can do. It goes with the rule: What you put into it is what you get out of it. We know that we have to stay hydrated too. Like post-run/workout stretching we can often forget the importance of refueling after we get physical. We’ve got some of the fastest, healthiest snack tips in town to get you up and running again, all day long.
The reality is that while we may know that a combination of carbs and protein is what does a body good, it doesn’t always happen. You are busy, we get it. The trick to getting the right food in is to plan and shop ahead. Get those snacks ready and pack them with your gym bag. It’s the best way to avoid having to stop at the drive-thru after you spent all that time at the gym.
From Home & Fresh
Pack your own snacks before you head out the door. It’s economical and healthy!
- One low-fat mozzarella stick (80 calories) with a small apple (70 calories) defeats the low blood sugar shakes in minutes.
- One low-fat cottage cheese cup, 4-ounces (82 calories) with ½ cup of blueberries (60 calories) taste sweet and fill you up.
- A small banana (89 calories) and eight raw almonds (55 calories) do the trick in a pinch.
- Banana and Rice Cake Sandwich: Bananas are sweet and high in sugar but after a workout they can really help you out. Slice half a small banana onto two brown rice cakes both already smeared with ½ tbsp. of peanut butter. You will be recharged right away.
- Cheese & Crackers: This traditional combo is great when you use low-fat cheese, about 4 ounces and four crackers like Triscuits or Wheat Thins.
Yes, we said it. You can find some relatively healthy alternatives if you really have to that can come from quick dining.
- Chocolate Milk: Pick up a low-fat pre-made bottle of chocolate milk to sip after a run or weight training session. Your muscles will thank you and you won’t cramp up. The combination of protein and sugar in this drink proves that a little goes a long way.
- Subway Egg, Cheese and Ham English Muffin: You have your protein and carbs and all less than 200 calories in this little sandwich. Wash it down with some water and be on your way.