For many of us summer finally appears to be on the horizon! It’s time to get load the car and head to the beach. Here are our favorite seven summer beach bag essentials.
- Sunscreen. First and foremost, whether sunny or cloudy, you need sunscreen to protect your skin. The safest ones are made with natural minerals. Learn to be a label reader and not grab any bottle off the sale shelf. Steer away from the following ingredients which are known or suspected to be endrocrine disrupters or produce destructive free radicals: avobenzone, oxybenzone, retinyl palmitate,octinoxate, homosalate, and parabens.
- Floppy Hat. Not only do they provide shade and look super stylish, hats protect the skin too. The back of our necks, noses, and ears are prone to burning. Hats help cover them from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Books. Some people read daily and always have a good book with them. For others, it’s a beach day or vacation activity that is relaxing. Head to Goodreads or Amazon to check out the best sellers to download on your device. Even better, take a ride to your local book-store or library where they usually have a recommended summer reading section. Magazines count too. If yours have been piling up without time to read them, they are the perfect beach bag stash.
- Cooling Mist Spray. When it gets hot, a refreshing body or facial mist right out of your cooler is the perfect remedy to cool off fast. Hydrate parched skin with skin-loving ingredients like green or white tea, purified water, grape water, rose water, and aloe.
- Sunglasses. If you’re like me, you need several pairs available so you’re never without. Choose glasses that block out 100% UVA/UVB. The larger the frame, the safer they are for our eyes. With the water reflecting those bright rays, glasses are a top must-have when you hit the beach. That means for the kids too!
- Lip Balm. Dry parched sunburned lips are painful! Shop for a safe organic lip balm that has UV protection in it and apply often. Use the same rules for ingredients as sunscreens and try to stay away from oxybenzone and other potentially harmful chemicals.
- Color Protecting Hair Spray. If you color your hair, you’ll want to protect those strands. Using a protecting hair spray along with a hat can keep your color vibrant without the sun faded look. Often they can condition hair too.
Have fun at the beach and be sure to have your beach bag packed with these summer essentials!