Happy Days are Here Again
February 8, 2012
How often do you end your day feeling completely warn out, irritated, depressed … just plain done? Before you know it you can’t even remember the last time you had a little pep in your step or a song in your heart.
I’ve been there. And being there is no fun. So I decided to start doing something, anything, every day to make me happy. I began to research blogs, books, websites for inspiration. I’ll admit I found a wealth of great advice but I finally realized, there is no one answer or solution that’s going to make me happy. Only I can make me happy. I took the parts of the research that worked for me, and started one day at a time.
Here’s what my “Happy Day” ideas look like:
- I get in my car and put on my favorite upbeat song for the moment and I sing out loud, and I mean loud. Windows rolled up of course, I don’t want to ruin anyone else’s day.
- Download my favorite podcast and I listen in the morning while packing the kids lunch.
- I sit outside in the grass and read a book or just take some deep breaths. Even for just 10 minutes, it helps so much.
- I send a card to a friend. In the mail with a real envelope and stamp so it is much more personal. I send a Thinking of You or Thanks for Being You card. It warms my heart.
- I go to a local drive thru coffee shop and pay for the car behind me. I can’t tell you how excited I get to know I just brightened someone’s day with a random act of kindness.
- I turn off all electronics and get into a discussion with my kids and husband or play a game. Turning off ALL electronics is key here.
- Pull out the recipe you’ve been meaning to try and make it.
- Play your favorite music all day long, music does soothe the beast.
- List 5 things that made you happy today. As small as, I opened my eyes to as big as, I’m a mommy. Anything at all that made you smile.
Those are just a few of my Happy Ideas but you get the picture. Big or small just do something, anything every day and you will feel better and brighter and all around happier in no time.
Don’t forget start EVERY DAY with a smile, no matter how you feel.