October 25, 2013
Halloween is just around the corner. Are you headed to a ghoulish party or hosting one of your own? These two recipes are easy to make and will be a hit at any event.
Mummy Spinach Dip in a Bread Bowl
- 1 16 ounce package frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 sticks mozzarella string cheese
- 2 black olive slices
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup Ranch Dressing, regular or lite
- 1 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well-drained
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red peppers
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Shape dough into 12×6-inch oval And place on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Indent the dough about 3 inches from one end of oval, for the mummy’s head. Let the dough rise in warm place 20 minutes or until doubled in volume.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush dough with egg. Bake 18-20 minutes or until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped lightly. Pull apart string cheese to make about 16 strips and arrange on bread, crisscrossed, for the mummy’s wrappings. Bake 1-2 minutes or just until cheese is melted. Cool slightly and then press olive slices into bread for the mummy’s eyes. Cool completely.
- Mix sour cream and dressing in medium bowl until well blended. Stir in spinach, onion, red peppers, parmesan cheese and pepper. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Use a sharp knife to remove bread from top of mummy’s body and set aside. Scoop out the bread from center, leaving a thin shell on bottom and side. Fill bread with spinach dip just before serving and cover with the top of bread that you set aside.
Serve with crackers. Or, if you are like me, forget the crackers and tear off pieces of bread and scoop up some dip!
Pumpkin Cheese Ball
- 3 green onions, divided
- 2 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 8 ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red peppers
- 2 slices pepperoni
- Cut a 4 inch length from green end of 1 onion; slice remaining onions.
- Beat the cream cheese and 1 and 1/4 cups cheddar cheese with mixer until well blended. Stir in sliced onions and peppers. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape into ball and then roll the ball in the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cut the pepperoni into shapes for the jack-o’-lantern’s eyes, nose and mouth. Press into cheese ball to make face. Insert green onion piece into top for stem.
Serve with crackers and perfectly punchy drinks.
Looking for other Halloween recipes? Try these last minute Halloween recipes with jack-o-lantern crackers and s’mores. Or make this litter box cake for the office. And make sure to try one of these recipes for baked treats using that leftover Halloween candy.
Watch out for all the neighborhood kids out trick or treating and be safe this Halloween.