Holiday mornings call for easy decadence, and these muffins deliver. These rich, banana muffins dotted with dark chocolate chips and spiked with bourbon can be prepped the night before and then popped into the oven for an easy breakfast or accompaniment to afternoon tea or coffee.
Simply combine the dry ingredients in a plastic bag and have the wet ingredients at the ready so you can quickly stir together the batter and pop the muffins in the oven. These treats also make for a great holiday treat to bring into the office!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 4 tbsp bourbon
- 1 cup dark chocolate or semisweet chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 12 muffins cups.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix for 30 seconds.
- On low speed, add the bananas, bourbon and the flour mixture. Stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick instead in the center comes out clean.
5 Tips Towards Better Muffins
- Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature.
- Don’t overmix the batter; it should be stiff enough to hold a spoon upright.
- Even if you are using baking cups, be sure to grease the entire muffin tin, so that the overflow with bake into a beautiful muffin top that won’t break post-baking.
- Muffins are best enjoyed fresh but if you expect a hectic morning, your best bet is to freeze the batter so it’s ready to bake. Prep the muffins as usual but instead of popping them into the oven, pop them into the freezer. Allow three hours to thaw before baking (or you can thaw overnight in the fridge). In the morning, they will be ready to bake!
- Be creative! You can substitute any fruit featured in a muffin recipe with another fruit. Don’t like bananas? Substitute 3/4 cup fresh cranberries, raspberries, or even diced apple.