Are you sick of winter? I know I am! This time of year I start thinking about some of my favorite summer time desserts, especially ones that might have fresh or even frozen fruits that I can get my kids to eat. This blueberry pie recipe is quick, easy and so delicious. Of course it’s better served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!
(you can also purchase a frozen pie shell)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Stir together flour and salt.
- Mix in shortening a little at a time.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over mixture, work in.
- Repeat moistening dough using 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is moistened.
- Form dough into ball.
- On lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten dough.
- Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Wrap dough around rolling pin and transfer into a 9 inch pie pan.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate, crimp edge.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- In large mixing bowl stir together the sugar, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Add blueberries.
- Gently stir ingredients together.
- Transfer mixture into pie shell.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup oats (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Mix together flour, brown sugar and oats.
- Cut in butter until resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spread over pie filling until edges are covered.
- Cover edge of pie with foil to prevent browning.
- Bake pie at 375 degrees for 25 minutes for fresh fruit and 50 minutes for frozen fruit.
- Remove foil. Bake for 20 to 25 more minutes for fresh fruit or 20 to 30 minutes for frozen fruit.
- Cool on wire rack.
And as always, enjoy!