Nothing reminds me of fall festivities more than a pumpkin pie. This autumn staple is the perfect dessert to reign in the new season. When making pumpkin pie, many people reach for a can of pumpkin puree from the store shelf. However, making pumpkin pie from scratch is pretty easy and is a great tradition to share with your children.
Picking Out Your Pumpkin
The pumpkin pie will only be as good as the pumpkin you choose. Fortunately, choosing the perfect pie pumpkin is easy. Most grocers will have the “pie pumpkin” on their shelves this time of year. It is the small, dense orange pumpkins labeled simply as pie pumpkins. The smaller the pumpkin, the better. I look for a small pumpkin about the size of a basketball that is exceptionally heavy. Don’t stress too much over picking the pumpkin. If the pumpkin meat is not sweet enough you can always add additional sugar and spices.
Preparing Your Pumpkin Puree
My preferred method of preparing my pumpkin for puree is to bake it.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash the exterior of your pumpkin thoroughly in warm water.
- Cut the stem off the pumpkin as if you were going to carve it.
- Slice the pumpkin in half down the middle.
- Scoop out the seeds and stringy portion of the pumpkin.
- Place the pumpkin halves (or quarters if you prefer) meat-side down in a baking dish.
- Place 1/2 to 1 cup of water in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes until the meat of the pumpkin is easily scooped from the skin.
I like a butter crust for my pumpkin pie. This recipe requires no shortening and is rather simple to make.
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sticks of butter (cool)
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Place all the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined.
- Cut butter into food processor. Butter should be cool.
- Pulse until butter is combined and the mix has a consistency of dirt.
- Add in the water and pulse until combined and doughy.
- Separate dough into two balls and place in separate plastic bags.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Now you are ready to make your pumpkin pie filling.
- 2.5 cups cooked pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 ounces)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
Mix all the ingredients together in a blender or food processor. The filling will be very soupy or watery. This is okay! Roll your crust from previous recipe and place in pie dish. Fill the crust with the pie filling and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool and serve.
Pumpkin pie from scratch is a fun way to celebrate autumn and is a tasty treat any day of the week. What is your favorite pumpkin recipe?