I am always looking for ways to add a little nutrition into our desserts. I have found the perfect way to do this through carrot cake. This cake is honestly some of the best cake I have ever tasted. Anywhere I take it I get numerous compliments and requests for the (recipe ).
This is your lucky day; I am going to share my famous carrot cake recipe with you.
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups organic unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, apple sauce, sugar and vanilla to flour mixture and mix well.
- Add in carrots, coconut, walnuts, and pineapple one at a time. Mix well after each additional ingredient.
- Pour into greased 8×12 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. (You will know that the cake is ready if you can insert a toothpick into the cake and it comes out clean)
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
You can always substitute conventional items for the organic ones listed.
Ginger Cream Cheese Frosting
The thing that takes my carrot cake over-the-top is the frosting. Your family will be eating the frosting straight from the bowl guaranteed.
- 1 ½ (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon shredded fresh ginger
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed with an electric mixer (or hand mixer) until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and ginger, beating until smooth. Chill in refrigerator 20-30 minutes.
You can also make these into carrot cupcakes and they are equally delicious. Instead of placing the batter in a pan pour them into muffin tins. Your baking time will need to be adjusted to approx. 45 minutes. Check them after 30 minutes and every 5-10 minutes thereafter, remove them when a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. Top the cupcakes with the ginger cream cheese frosting and you have a treat any child (or adult) would love.
The best part about this recipe is that you are getting carrots, pineapple, ginger, pecans, apple sauce, coconut, and cinnamon all in one dessert. If you areentertaining guests and looking for a dessert that is sure to impress, look no further than this carrot cake recipe.