Do you ever need to make a dessert but don’t have a lot of time? I found this recipe for pineapple-coconut cake that is the most simple cake I have ever made, and it is absolutely delicious. It is topped with a simple glaze, you won’t even need to pull out your mixer!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in pineapple (including juice) and walnuts.
- Pour into greased 13 inch X 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on cooling rack for about 5 minutes.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- In small sauce pan combine sugar, butter and milk.
- On medium heat, stirring constantly, bring ingredients to boil.
- Continue boiling for 2 minutes.
- Pour glaze over warm cake.
- Sprinkle flaked coconut over cake.
- Can be served warm or cooled.
Tips & Ideas:
I’ve made this cake in the traditional 13 X 9 pan and a couple of other variations:
- Make the recipe as a double layer cake using two 9 inch round pans. You can add crushed or sliced pineapple slices and sprinkle extra coconut and glaze between the cake layers. It is a fresh, light and sweet dessert sure to please!
- Make a batch of cupcakes. Cook as directed but bake for about 15 minute. You can try another variation where you fill the cupcake liners about half full, add a small spoonful of crushed pineapple (plus a little sprinkle of coconut if you like) to the batter and bake as directed. Pour glaze over the warm cupcakes.