A friend of mine just installed a wood pizza oven and threw a pizza party. He agreed to make the dough if everyone brought over toppings. I wanted to do something a little different and opted for a dessert pizza. Here’s the recipe I used:
You can buy refrigerated dough at the grocery store or make this pizza dough from scratch.
Makes 2 medium pizzas
- 1 package active dry or fresh yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees F
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4 cup warm water.
- In a food processor, combine the flour and the salt. Add the oil, yeast mixture, and remaining 3/4 cup of water and process until the mixture forms a ball. I added a little of cinnamon into the dough for added flavor. You can also use a mixer fitted with the dough hook. Mix on low speed until the dough comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl and started to climb the hook.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and knead by hand 2 or 3 minutes longer. The dough should be smooth and firm. Place the dough back into a bowl and cover with a clean, damp towel and let it rise in a cool spot for about 2 hours. (When ready, the dough will stretch as it is lightly pulled).
- Divide the dough into 2 balls. Work each ball by pulling down the sides and tucking under the bottom of the ball. Repeat 4 or 5 times. On a smooth, unfloured surface, roll the ball under the palm of your hand until the top of the dough is smooth and firm, about 1 minute. Place back into bowl and cover with a damp towel and let rest 1 hour. At this point, the balls can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
You can use this recipe to make regular pizzas also.
Streusel Cake Pizza
- Pizza dough
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable shortening
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp maple extract
- Mix together streusel ingredients with a fork, or clean hands, then set aside.
- To make pizza, pat dough into a 12 inch pizza pan that has been sprayed with oil. Perforate pizza dough with a fork (this keeps bubbles from forming). Add the cinnamon to the melted butter and spread onto the dough. Top pizza crust with streusel mix.
- Bake at 450 for 8 to 9 minutes depending on the thickness of the pizza.
- Mix icing ingredients until it is a thick consistency that you can drizzle. If it is too thick, then thin with a small amount of milk until you have reached your desired thinness.
- When finished baking, top with icing in a circular pinwheel pattern.
If you’re not a fan of maple, you can change the extract to vanilla or almond or even rum flavor. Add some almonds or other nuts to the streusel mix or even try some toffee bits.
Cut with a pizza slicer, serve, and enjoy!