Lemon Meringue Pie: The Perfect Spring Dessert
April 15, 2015
One of my very favorite spring and summer time desserts is lemon meringue pie. It is so light and airy, sweet yet tart. This is an old recipe that shows you the way this pie should be made, without using a pudding mix!
(Or you can also purchase an already made shell)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 4 Tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Stir together flour and salt.
- Add butter and work together (pastry blender works best).
- Sprinkle one tablespoon of water at a time over mixture until dough is moistened, form into ball.
- On lightly floured surface use your hands to slightly flatten dough.
- Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (the juice of about 1 or 2 lemons)
- Separate egg yolks from whites, set aside.
- Mix sugar, flour and cornstarch.
- Gradually stir in water.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, reduce heat cook and stir two more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour about one cup of hot filling into slightly beat egg yolks.
- Pour egg yolk mixture into remaining hot filling in sauce pan.
- Bring to gentle boil, cook and stir two more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in margarine and lemon juice.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In large mixing bowl combine egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar.
- Beat for about 1 minute or until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time beating on high speed for about four more minutes or until stiff peaks form. Should appear glossy.
- Spread meringue over HOT pie filling, sealing to edge to prevent shrinkage.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Make this recipe in a 9 X 13 pan, cut into 2 inch squares, refrigerate well before serving. Great for a party!