Now that school has started again, I’m sure many of you are hustling around every morning trying to get your children fed, lunches packed and get out the door. For those mornings when you need something quick for breakfast, try making these delicious homemade cinnamon rolls the night before so all you have to do is heat them up in the morning!
- 1/4 ounce package yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup scalded milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter, plus extra for pan
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus extra for pan
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans, optional
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg.
- Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.
- Add yeast mixture.
- Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place in well greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Once dough has doubled in size, punch it down and roll on a floured surface into a 15 by 9 inch rectangle.
- Spread melted butter all over dough.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough.
- Sprinkle in raisins, walnuts or pecans if desired.
- Beginning at the 15 inch side, roll dough and pinch edge together to seal.
- Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
- Coat bottom of baking pan with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Mix melted butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.
- Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until glaze reaches desired consistency.
- Drizzle over cinnamon rolls and enjoy!
Tip: Before you put the glaze on, cut and individually wrap each cinnamon roll and refrigerate or freeze. Keep glaze in separate bowl. Each time you need a cinnamon roll, remove one from the freezer dress with icing and warm for 1 minute!