When you think of health food the last thing that probably comes to your mind is brownies. However, this gooey, chocolatey delight can be made with a healthy ingredient that really packs a nutritious punch- the beet. Beets are naturally sweet and incredibly high in sugar. In fact, beets are the second biggest producer of sugar aside from sugar cane. This makes them a perfect addition to a sweet treat like fudge brownies.
Beets are so much more than just sugar though. There are a number of health reasons to add beets to your diet.
- They contain a number of vitamins and minerals that help nourish the body. Beets are high in potassium, fiber, iron, magnesium, folic acid, beta-carotene, and vitamins A, B, and C.
- They are a natural cleanser for your body. They help clean the blood and also support the liver.
- Beets contain betaine which is a known mood stabilizer. Homeopathies use beets in treatment of mood disorders and minor cases of depression.
- They can give you the energy boost you need. They are high in natural sugar which is slowly released over time. They also contain Boron which can give an energy boost and can increase libido!
So how do you include this healthy veggie into your dessert?
Beet Infused Brownie Recipe
- 1 large beet, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces bakers chocolate
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Boil beets until tender. Set aside and let cool.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8×8 pan.
- In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Place the butter and bakers chocolate in a double broiler and melt.
- Slowly add chocolate to dry mixture and stir.
- Add in eggs and vanilla and whisk together into the flour mixture.
- Puree the beets in a food processor and stir into the batter.
- Pour into the 8×8 dish and bake for 20 minutes.
These brownies are sweet and decadent, but with all the added health benefits of the beet. Have you ever used beets in recipes for your sweets?