So simple and so many different options. Picture all the boxed cake flavors and all the different types of soda. Now imagine all the pairing options available when you make this easy cake. You can even use diet soda, just to knock off a few calories!
This recipe really is as simple as buying a box of cake mix and a flavor of soda. You can even create a layered cake using 2 or more varieties.
- 1 box of cake mix
- 1 can of any flavor of soda
- Mix together in a bowl and bake according to the instructions on the package.
Directions (for layered cake):
- Separate a package of cake mix into 2 bowls (1 ½ cups each).
- Mix in half a can of soda into one bowl, and half a can of another soda into the other bowl.
- Pour into two round release pans and bake according to instructions on the package.
Cream Cheese Frosting
This cream cheese frosting recipe is my favorite. Not too sweet from the sugar or too sour from the cream cheese.
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 1 stick softened butter
- 3 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all the ingredients together. Simple as that.
To make the chocolate cream cheese frosting, because I thought it would go well with the flavors I had chosen, I used ½ cup less powdered sugar and added ½ cup cocoa powder instead. I also added a 1 teaspoon of cinnamon for a little kick. It was so good I wanted to eat it by the spoonful!
Spread some of the frosting to the top of one of the cakes, put the second layer on top and then finish frosting the whole cake.
So, for my first try at this, I tried Orange Crush and Cream Soda. The orange came through and so next time I will try a grapefruit soda or other fruit flavors like peach or tangerine. I’d also like to try Dr. Pepper – perhaps with a chocolate cake mix.
Mix and match! What flavors would you like to try?