Fall Apple Harvest Brings Two Delicious Crisp Recipes
October 3, 2014
Apple harvests are coming in and there is nothing better than American and apple pie! There are other ways to bake an apple too – including these two apple crisp recipes below. While Granny Smith and Jonathans are the best apples for pies, try Fujis, Braeburns or Galas for baking. They retain their shape better and because they are a crisper textured apple, they won’t get so mealy.
I make a killer apple crisp, and one night I was craving it but I didn’t want to make a large batch so decided to attempt a dessert for two using my standard recipe but adding the crunch of the apple skin itself.
Baked Apple Crisp
- 2 apples
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3tbsp butter, cold and diced
- 3tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oats, uncooked
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each apple in half along its equator. Using a knife, spoon or melon baller, cut out each side of the core, creating a rounded hole. Rub the apple flesh with lemon juice.
- Place the apples in a baking dish and add a little water.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, butter, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg. Press this mixture on the top of each apple half.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until top is golden brown and apple is tender.
Cake Mix Apple Crisp
This second recipe comes from Poker by way of food.com.
- About 5 to 7 Granny Smith apples (or pick your favorite variety)
- 1 (9 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 stick real butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel, core and thinly slice apples. Place in pan and sprinkle with dry cake mix.
- In small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over cake mix.
- Drizzle with butter.
- Bake 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream, if desired!
I haven’t tried it, but I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t make this cake into individual cupcakes. Just split up the ingredients (you should be able to get 12 cupcakes out of a 9 ounce package of cake mix)
Put aside your favorite pie recipe and go with a crisp.