The holiday season has begun and it’s time for visiting friends and family. It’s time for entertaining and parties. It’s time for baking and hosting. The common factor of these things is that you are bound to find the cheese ball rolled in nuts and served with crackers. Sometimes fruit is served beside the cheese.
But how about elevating the cheese ball plate, perhaps with Brie? Brie is a soft cow’s milk, whole or skim, cheese. While the outer rind doesn’t look very appetizing, it can definitely be eaten. A 30 gram serving has 101 calories and 5-6 grams of protein. Brie is a very soft cheese that is easily spreadable on crackers. But we’re going to do a twist and heat it up!
Thank Huffington Post for putting together 27 gooey baked brie recipes. These recipes combine brie with fruits and nuts. Some are sweet and some are savory. I pulled out one of each.
Baked Brie with Caramelized Onions
- ½ package puff pastry sheets (1 sheet)
- 1 8oz wheel Brie
- 1 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced and caramelized
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Slice the wheel of Brie in half, horizontally, so that the halves are two, flatter wheels of Brie.
- Lay the puff pastry on the cookie sheet. Place half of the Brie, rind-side down, onto the pastry dough.
- Spoon caramelized onions evenly over the top. Place the other half of Brie, rind-side up, over the caramelized onions.
- Fold the puff pastry up and over the Brie, sealing so it is bundled up. Flip entire Brie over so seal is on the bottom.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until puff pastry is golden brown. Serve warm with crackers or baked pita chips.
Kahlua-Pecan-Brown Sugar Baked Brie
- 1 whole wheel of Brie (19 ounces)
- 1 cup Kahlua
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Club crackers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully slice the rind off the top of the Brie wheel, but do not remove completely. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the Brie is baking, in a medium saucepan, bring Kahlua and brown sugar to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until a syrupy consistency is made. Throw the pecans in for 2 minutes at the end to warm them and completely cover with the sauce.
- Remove the Brie from the over (removing top rind) and pour and pour Kahlua sauce over the Brie.
- Serve warm with crackers.